Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Truth Commission by Susan Juby

The Truth Commission by Susan Juby
"Open secrets are the heart of gossip -- the obvious things that no one is brave or tactless enough to ask. Except for Normandy Pale and her friends. They are juniors at a high school for artistsl, and have no fear. They are the Truth Commission. Then, one of their truth targets says to Normandy: “If you want to know about the truth, you might want to look a little closer to home.”- summary from Amazon

Susan Juby's books are always a delight, and this one is no different. I love the idea of narrative nonfiction and Juby's created a fantastic character in Normandy and story in her life and situation. It's such a sharp, witty and poignant book, and the footnotes and illustrations included in the book really enhance the story; the footnotes in particular provide a lot of the humor, as footnotes tend to do (at least in the books I read). It's a quiet, slowly building book until the reveal at the end and the epilogue provides some good closure but keeps things realistic. Not everything is going to turn out neat and rosy.

Overall, another winning novel from Juby and I strongly urge you all to go out and buy this fantastic book! She's such a wonderful, interesting and different author, and I always love reading a new book from her.

Side note: Even though no one commented, in case anyone cares, my lie from last week was that I like roller coasters. I do not. I get nauseous on them.

FTC: Received hardcover from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard good things about this book and have it on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete