Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Author Interview- Amanda Ashby

1) How did you get the idea for Demonosity?

I was researching something else (I can’t even remember what) when I stumbled across an old secret society called the Rosicrucians and the more I read about it, the more intrigued I was. I then played with the idea for ages and somehow brought the Knights Templar into it, but despite how much I loved it all, I couldn’t get it to gel into a story.

Unfortunately, before I realized that I couldn’t make it gel into a story, I had told my agent about it and a couple of months later I got an email from her asking where this new idea was. Whoops! Anyway, that forced me into action and I spent the weekend pulling together my ideas and coming up with Demonosity. I sent it to her on the Monday thinking that if she okayed it, that I’d star writing. Instead she sent it directly to my editor who bought it. It’s the first time I’ve sold a book entirely on proposal (and strangely enough, it was the easiest book I’ve ever written!)


2) I've noticed you have a new paranormal creature in each of your books, and you've covered angels, demons, djinns, zombies, and fairies. Is it fun writing something new with each story? Where do you think you'll go next?

It is lots of fun. I always want an idea to feel fresh – at least to me – so I try and look for odd things and then figure out a way to weave them into a story. My two current obsessions are birds and science fiction and I’ve written numerous plots to try and pull both ideas together. Not sure I’ve quite managed it yet, but watch this space!


3) You live in Australia. What do you love most about it?

The weather! I spent about eight years living in England and eight years living in New Zealand and after all of those cold winters, it’s been a delight to come back to the land of sunshine! I also love how feral it is. Obviously the urban centres have been tamed and covered in concrete but there is a real wildness about Australia (not to mention lots of snakes, spiders and strange marsupials) which I really love!


4) What book(s) are you currently reading, or are about to start?

I’m currently reading Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead. Her Vampire Academy and Bloodline books are my two favorite YA series so I’m really happy to be reading this new book! I’m also ridiculously excited about the VA movie!


5) What's your favorite snack to have while writing, or as a reward for writing?

My snack obsessions change all the time but I’m currently focusing all of my attention on Dark Chocolate. It has to be over 70% pure (which allows me to convince myself that it’s both delicious and healthy!). I also love coffee – but only nice coffee!


6) You had a three-book middle-grade series released last year, called Sophie's Mixed-up Magic. Was it different writing middle-grade? Will there be any more books in the series?

To begin with it was quite difficult to switch, mainly because I had to have a lot more parent involvement (I also started to understand why we have so many orphans in middle grade fiction!!!!!) But once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed doing the Sophie books. Especially because I veer toward lighter books and this seems to fit in well with the market. Right now I don’t have any plans to do more Sophie books, but I’ve got a few other ideas that I’m working on, which are keeping me just as amused as Sophie did!

No comments:

Post a Comment