Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire


Hourglass by Myra McEntire
"One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?"- summary from Amazon

Is there any way I could just tell everyone to go get this book right away and be done with the review? No? I have to explain myself, you say? This is a review site not a yay or nay site? OK fine, if you insist.

This book is amazing and so hard to believe it's a debut. It's a riveting supernatural story filled with humor, steamy romance, and roller coaster twists and turns. McEntire kept the pages turning and I loved reading Em's story. The characters are all wonderful and their interactions felt very realistic.

I liked the time-travel aspect of it and the explanation of it was really cool. I also liked that there were other characters with special abilities. It's a nice way to expand on the world McEntire has built. There aren't just time-travelers here; there's a whole bevy of individuals with powers.

Although one thing I didn't like was that while the ending did solve some problems, there's still some issues left unresolved. For some reason (and I'm not entirely sure why as I added the sequel to my GoodReads a week before finishing the book), I thought it was a standalone book, so I was expecting a resolved ending. I was actually quite excited for a standalone too since everything is a series these days. So that bothered me but it's not a huge deal.

Overall, this is a fantastic debut and I urge everyone to go get a copy of this book now!

FTC: Received ARC from Jennifer at Goodman Media (third party publicist). Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

2 comments:

  1. At first I was a little skeptical on whether I should start this, especially when I found out it's a series, but this is the FIFTH GLOWING REVIEW I've read in the past two days of it. So I'm going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing such great things about this one! I've already bought my copy, just waiting for it to arrive! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete