Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fresh New Voice of YA- Freefall by Mindi Scott

BIG NEWS: Today, Nov. 17, I'm taking part in A Book and A Chat because this month is Male YA Author Month and I'm one of two male bloggers being featured! It's a call-in radio show, so I think he'll have some questions for me, but we'll also take calls from people. It's for a half-hour starting at 6:30 PM EST so if you wanna chat with me, call in! Or for those who don't want to call in, I think there's also like a live chat you can use to ask questions or chat. It should be a fun time!


Freefall by Mindi Scott
"Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend, Isaac, alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time when Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn't wake up.

Convinced that his own actions led to his friend's death, Seth is torn between turning his life around . . . or losing himself completely.

Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything and everyone he's ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth soon realizes he isn't the only one who needs saving . . ."- summary from Amazon

I really enjoyed this book. It was just executed so well and had so many different layers to it and it was just awesome. Seth did get on my nerves sometimes for being mopey, but for the most part, it all made sense. His best friend Isaac had died fairly recently, just like two months before the book started, so he does have a reason. I do also get his anger at others. He's a good protagonist with some glaring flaws but you can't help but feel for him.

I want to go on the record and say that I hate Carr and wanted a bunch of people to just beat him up. I knew he was trouble from the beginning. It was funny though because just the other day, I was complaining about how I feel so powerless when it comes to evil people winning and not being reprimanded. Then I read this book and everything turns out awesome; that's why I love books, they're so much better than real life.

The romance in the book is handled really well. Seth and Rosetta's interactions are realistic and so is their journey toward being together. Also, when they first realize that the other does like them in that way, it's the cutest scene ever. Those two are adorable. Also, funny. I loved them joking around. Kendall was a wonderful character too and I really enjoyed her when she was in the book.

Overall, a really wonderful, well-written debut and is definitely a book to check out.

Random complaint- The main character complains about being in school for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I was in school for 7.5 hours every day with a full 7 periods on a rotating schedule (we had 8 classes, though one year, I had nine for a semester (ok, one was study hall but still)- long story). And this school has an optional zero period and seventh period- how long are their school days? All I'm saying is that 8 hours is nothing.

FTC: Received final paperback unsolicited from publisher. Link above is Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too. Reading it from Seth's point of view felt real to me. Not many YA authors can pull that off, so I commend Mindi Scott for doing it!

    Ginger @ GReads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting your blog and reading your reviews, interviews and thoughts on books and blogging. I don't leave to many comments, but I wanted you to know that I am reading! Thanks for featuring Mindi Scott's Freefall. I am such a fangirl!

    I wanted to let you know I have awarded you with the Stylish Blogger Award. Please visit my blog at http://actinupwithbooks.blogspot.com/2010/11/1.html to see how to receive the award.

    I would understand if you don't continue the chain, but I wanted you to know that I think your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete