Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Picture Post- "Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?" Book Signing

So on September 18, I went up to Alexandria, VA for a book signing for a book outside my usual spectrum- a childrens' picture book. The book in question was Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? written by Audrey Vernick and illustrated by Daniel Jennewein. Daniel is the husband of blogger extraordinare Lenore of Presenting Lenore, so of course I had to go!



The signing was at Hooray for Books! in Old Town Alexandria and it was easy to find. I went in, got the book and while waiting in line to buy it, I chatted with Lenore a bit, who warned me about her cold and also pointed out Diana Peterfreund. I'd brought along my copy of Zombies vs. Unicorns for her to sign.

Once I bought the book, I went up and got Audrey to sign it. She was such a sweetheart and complimented my roomie's niece's name (it's Emelie, pronounced like Emily) and even said that name won Best Name of the Day (I then of course pumped my fist and said "YES!!" because I am a nerd).

The reading got started before I was able to get Daniel to sign the book as well, so I sat down and Diana Peterfreund and her husband joined me a minute later. Diana and I chatted a bit and she signed my book, which was so sweet of her. Audrey and Daniel talked for a couple minutes before starting Storytime- Audrey read the story out loud while Daniel showed off the pictures. This book is the CUTEST book I have ever read, and I'm so happy to hear there's a second book in the works. That buffalo? So adorable!



I was able to get my book signed by Daniel afterward and he drew a great buffalo in my copy. I hung around for a little bit and got to chat with Diana, her husband and Lenore but then I had to go because I still had to drive back to Lynchburg. All in all, a great signing. I'm so glad I went!


Picture 1- Daniel and Audrey signing books.
Picture 2- Daniel wearing the buffalo hat

Also, I wanted to share this blog post with you guys. It sickened me to read what this poor woman went through all for the sake of education and literacy. Book banners just make no sense to me. I want to start a school with teachers and librarians who stand up to book banners. We'd be the best school ever because we wouldn't let any parent get to us. But I can't, and sometimes it bothers me when it just feels like I can't do anything to help out these great people. Anyway, hope you all are as moved as I was by this brave woman's story.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a really cute book! I'd buy it for my niece but she is way too young to appreciate it and would just rip the pages. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to go to this (an event I could actually take the baby too!) but I was in the UK. Sounds a fun time though.

    That link made me so sad and mad - poor woman! That was a complete outrage!

    ReplyDelete