Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Fresh New Voice of YA- Interview with Kelly Creagh


1) How did you get the idea for Nevermore?

When I began writing Nevermore, it was an untitled piece about a goth and a cheerleader being paired for an English project. My goth guy chose Poe as the focus for the assignment. Initially, I didn’t expect that Poe would take such a large role in the novel. As I continued to write and research, however, I began to find out more and more about Poe’s mysterious death. As I continued to write, Poe seeped into every page until his presence became the very backbone of my story. So this is one of those ideas that crept up on me slowly, waiting in the wings, ready to strike, take over and bend my mind in a very Poe-like way.


2) What was The Call like?

I got the call while I was at work so I couldn’t be too insane. My cell rang and I hurried out into the hallway and had a quick chat with my agent. So it was kind of subdued, actually. I was somewhat in disbelief and I think that part of me still didn’t understand. In my mind, I still had some more hoops to go through before everything was official. Needless to say, I spent the remainder of that day in a total daze.


3) What book(s) are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about them?

I am currently working on the sequel to Nevermore. I can’t say much about it yet. I also have another project tucked away which I began working on about a year ago and which I hope to be able to return to sometime soon. The only thing I am willing to say about that one, is that it is the polar opposite of Nevermore.


4) Do you have any writing rituals, or are you pretty much just a sit-and-write anywhere type of person?

When I sit down to write, I like to have coffee nearby and something chocolate. I have to compose on my laptop. I find writing long-hand frustrating because my hand can’t seem to keep up with my thoughts. I also like the option of editing as I go. As a result, one of my writerly superpowers is the ability to type super fast. The other thing that I must have is music. If it’s a good day and things are flowing, mood music helps a lot and I almost always use my big over-the-ear block-out-the-world headphones (or as I like to call them, my robot ears!)


5) What book(s) are you currently reading, or are about to start?

Right now I’m really enjoying the Kiss Me Deadly anthology. Also, I’ve started Torment by Lauren Kate. Books that I have and desperately want to read are Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa and The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade


6) You're also a librarian specializing in teen services. What made you choose that career path? Also, I'm sure you've done plenty of wonderful things for your library and its patrons. Is there any that you're particularly proud of, more so than the others, or meant the most to you?

I love working with teenagers. So many of the teens who I work with are so spry and quick-witted and just plain hilarious. Interacting with my teen patrons is the best part of my day-job. I love recommending titles and having dish-out sessions about which YA boy is the cutest and what might happen in the next book in a series. As far as my greatest achievement in working for the library, I think it has been the relationships I have formed with my teen regulars. I think that a big part of getting teens to let you into their world a little is to know their name, ask them how their day was and provide them with special individualized service and programs.
That’s what I love about my role. After all, teens are future voters, parents and professionals.


7) Nevermore is very haunting and focuses a lot on one of the most scary writers Edgar Allan Poe. Are you really into things like haunted houses and ghost stories, or are you more of a scaredy-cat?

I actually am into the paranormal. I’m a big fan of paranormal TV shows like The Ghost Hunters and Paranormal State. I would love to get into ghost hunting. Though I have never seen a ghost, I sometimes think that I would really like to. At least…that’s what I tell myself. And I have been a scary-story junkie for as long as I can remember.


8) Concluding on a very serious note, what is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor?

Toasted Marshmallow

3 comments:

  1. She seems really cool, Nevermore is on my list of books that I want to read so hopefully I will get it for Christmas or something, it sounds like it will be a really good read plus I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I finished up her book a week ago and it was ridiculous! I loved it! It looks like it is almost bleeding though because I underlined so many things I liked about it. I am glad she is working on the sequel because I am dying to read more in that world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview! I loved your questions--they seem to bring out some really great insights! I'll be adding this book to my TBR for sure!

    ReplyDelete