Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Three Year Blogoversary- Jordanna Fraiberg Interview

On the final day of this blogoversary week, here's Jordanna Fraiberg, author of the fabulous book In Your Room, answering a few questions for me!

1) How do you handle bad reviews?

I try not to let bad reviews get to me. I personally think it's a bit arrogant to expect that *everyone* will love your book (although, let's face it, wouldn't it be nice?) and that there can be something to learn from a critical review, especially if the comments are thoughtful.


2) What are your criteria for finding bloggers to send review copies to?

I'm open to all bloggers and try to send review copies to as many that request one, as long as I have enough. I think it's great that there are so many book bloggers out there with such an avid interest not only in reading YA fiction, but in sharing their thoughts. Sending bloggers review copies so that their voices can be heard helps the industry as a whole since a YA novel's success is very much driven by its viral word-of-mouth. I'm so grateful for bloggers like you so I like to support them by sending them books. And hey, it's especially rewarding if they end up liking my work!


3) How did you find my blog, as well as any others you frequent?

Actually, you found me! I was so new to the industry when you contacted me for a review copy and it made my day -- especially since you were the very first to find me! I was even more excited after I checked out your blog and saw how thoughtful and well-written your reviews were. So, I really owe so much to you. You were my entree into this amazing world of bloggers. I have found other book blogs I like through sites like yours, by clicking on the comments or the followers' profiles, which has helped me discover more fabulous blogs. It's kind of like following a trail of bread crumbs and seeing where it leads you...


4) Do you have any advice for bloggers writing reviews?

My only advice is to try and make the reviews as thoughtful as possible. As an author, I definitely want to know what you liked (or didn't) about a book, but I'm even more interested in the "why" of it all. Why you felt something worked or didn't work, why you found a character relatable or not, why certain themes might have resonated or others didn't, why you liked or didn't like the plot, etc., etc. Not only do these kinds of comments give insight into the blogger and what appeals to him/her, but it's also really helpful for the author.


5) Have you had a particularly memorable/meaningful review sent your way? What was it, and how did it make you feel?

I have gotten many memorable reviews and emails from readers, all of which I'm extremely grateful for. But if I had to pick just one, it would be yours, and not just because it's your blogiversary! As I mentioned above, you were the first blogger to contact me and I was so excited (and nervous!) when your review came in. But when I read it I was blown away, not just by how positive your review was, but also by how encouraging and supportive it was of me as a debut author. It made me realize that my book was actually out in the world -- and that it had the ability to impact people. It was a defining moment for me in making the transition to becoming a published author and I will never forget it!



Jordanna is one of the sweetest authors out there and I love chatting with her. It's been great fun getting to know each other these past two years. Anyway, today's contest is for an advance copy of Dangerous Neighbors by Beth Kephart! To enter, leave a comment on this post with your thoughts on Jordanna's answers or what's got you excited for Dangerous Neighbors. The contest will be open until June 30th at 11:59 PM and is for North American residents only.

1 comment:

  1. Thoughtful isn't a word you usually hear when being given advice about writing reviews. I like it and I will definitely try and be more thoughtful

    ReplyDelete