Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Friday, June 11, 2010

The Star Shack by Lila Castle


The Star Shack by Lila Castle
"Pete and Annabelle always believed they were a perfect pair-until junior year, when Annabelle became obsessed with astrology. Now they can hardly stand each other. Pete thinks Annabelle has become a total flake; she thinks he's an uptight jerk. To prove her point, Annabelle dares Pete to open a summer business on the boardwalk giving advice based on the stars.

"You and me and an astrology booth. I dare you."

Annabelle knows Pete can never say no to a dare. Together they'll run the Star Shack and read visitors' charts for romance and see what happens. Will a simple dare lead to a summer to remember or to something even more?"- summary from Amazon

Castle's debut is a fun, humorous romance that I really enjoyed; it was a very fast read for me. I liked the whole astrology aspect of it and it's the first book I've read where it's played such a big role in it so it was really cool to learn all about it. I enjoyed reading the horoscopes that preceded each chapter; they were a nice touch. I will say though that Pete really got on my nerves in the first few chapters, which was probably the point, but I just wanted to smack him for a bit there. If anyone has read Jinx by Meg Cabot, it's how Zach acts toward witchcraft. The story alternates between the boy and the girl, so we do get to see Pete's side (that's essentially the part that made me mad, at least in the beginning) and Castle makes the voices unique and realistic.

Overall, a fun, quick, beachy read for the summer ahead!

FTC: Received book from author. Link above is Amazon Associate link; any profit received goes toward funding contests.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a fun summer read. I'm becoming a fan of duel narration. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! This was my WoW a couple of weeks ago, so I'm glad to hear it was so good (:

    ReplyDelete