Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fresh New Voice of YA- The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin by Josh Berk


The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin by Josh Berk
"Being a hefty, deaf newcomer almost makes Will Halpin the least popular guy at Coaler High. But when he befriends the only guy less popular than him, the dork-namic duo has the smarts and guts to figure out who knocked off the star quarterback. Will can’t hear what’s going on, but he’s a great observer. So, who did it? And why does that guy talk to his fingers? And will the beautiful girl ever notice him? (Okay, so Will’s interested in more than just murder . . .)

Those who prefer their heroes to be not-so-usual and with a side of wiseguy will gobble up this witty, geeks-rule debut."- summary from Amazon

I really enjoyed this book; it was original and had a unique perspective to it. It's not often I read books with male protagonists (that alone is original enough considering YA), but for him to also be deaf and on the large side? Almost unthinkable. I loved reading through Will's perspective with his being deaf because he would have to rely on clues to figure out what was going on rather than simply hearing his classmates make fun of him.

Relying on clues helped him and his friends figure out the murder that happened. Now, I had a bit of a problem with this. I felt like it took way too long for that part of the plot to kick in. I mean, when it's included in the summary, I expect it to begin like 50ish pages into the book, but this didn't start until well after page 100 and I wondered if there would be enough time for that part of the book to develop. I think what Berk did was good, but I think it could've used a bit more screen time.

OK, now I can't review this book and not mention the humor. This book was so funny. I laughed out loud many times while reading this, which definitely got major approval from me since I am a guy who loves to laugh and loves any book with humor. Will was a great character who seemed like such a great guy that you'd love to hang out with- he's hilarious, kind, and full of good intentions. I also enjoyed his friends Devon and Ebony; their interactions were fun to read.

Overall, this is a really good book and I did really enjoy it, despite the flaw mentioned above. Definitely go out and get a copy as soon as you can since the book is in stores now!


FTC: Received hardcover from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associates link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. There definitely aren't many large protags in YA. Might be a good to have a body diversity challenge along with a POC and GBLT.

    ReplyDelete