Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fresh New Voice of YA- Dia Reeves interview


1) How did you get the idea for Bleeding Violet?

I just brainstormed a list of topics I thought would be fun to write about. "Crazy girls" and "monsters" topped the list.


2) What was The Call like? Tell us all about it!

The Call was actually The Email. I had only just started querying agents for Bleeding Violet when I got an email from one of the agents saying how she was in "mad love" with the story and what would be a good time to call me and talk about representation. So we talked about everything and it was her enthusiasm that really sold me and the fact that she understood the kind of story I wanted to tell. Enthusiasm in an agent is priceless.


3) What book(s) are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about them?

I sent a draft of my second book, Strange Fruit, to my editor. Strange Fruit isn't a sequel to Bleeding Violet, but it takes place in the same town. SF is about the two daughters of a serial killer who have inherited their father's murderous urges, but unlike him, they only kill to help other people. It has a Dexter meets Ginger Snaps vibe.


4) Have you always been a fan of YA, or are you still new to it all?

I've been reading YA since before it was even called YA. I cut my teeth on Norma Klein, Jerry Spinelli, Katherine Patterson, Barthe DeClements, and Madeleine L'Engle. And of course now there are a bunch of newer writers I'm excited about like Suzanne Collins, Rachel Hawkins, L.K. Madigan, and Kristin Cashore.


5) What is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor?

I actually won a HUGE jar of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans when I was in college. :D The cheesacake flavored ones are my favorite (I'm a cheesecake junkie from way back), but I also like the popcorn flavored ones.


6) What book(s) are you reading now, or are about to start?

I'm reading Forest Born by Shannon Hale and Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men by Molly Harper. They're both pretty good so far.


7) In your very short bio that someone else came up with, there's a mention of you manning space missions for NASA. What does this mean?

It means I hate talking about myself, so I am apt to either keep quiet, make up lies, or enlist friends to make up lies for me. Seriously, my life is deadly dull: I go to work, then I come home and either read or write. That's really it. See? Now wouldn't you rather read about my adventures with NASA? Or about that one baboon I mud-wrestled with?


8) You're part of The Tenners. How did you get involved with this group, and how has it helped you in getting ready for the release of your book?

I found out about the Tenners from the blueboards, which is this forum where a lot of writers and aspiring writers hang out. I knew a lot of the people in the Tenners from the blueboards, so it was a comfortable transition for me. Being in the Tenners is great because we all dish about the industry and warn one another about what to expect. We commiserate over disappointments and cheer one another's triumphs, so for me it's been invaluable. Publishing can be stressful and uncertain and lonely, so it's nice to have your buddies around you, especially when they're going through the same things.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could brainstorm, end up with monster and crazy girls at the top of the list, and then have an awesome book come out of it!
    And, um popcorn flavored jelly beans - yuck! To each his own, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! She's exactly how I imagined.Cool and down-to-earth with a sense of humor. I'm reading Bleeding Violet now and I love it!

    ReplyDelete